The Maury County Chamber and Economic Alliance has an advocacy partnership with the Nashville Area Chamber of Commerce, Rutherford County Chamber, Hendersonville Area Chamber and the Dickson County Chamber. This advocacy partnership provides the means for an expanded and more influential effort to advocate on issues that are important to the business community of Middle Tennessee.
2023 Legislative Updates
Week of January 9th, 2023 – The first week of the 113th Tennessee General Assembly has concluded! Members of the House and Senate gathered with their families at the Capitol on Tuesday for their swearing in and spent the rest of the week on organizational matters to start the year. Constitutional officers and legislative leadership were elected, and new legislative committees were announced. Click here to view the weekly legislative update for more information about the organizational session, dates of importance, and the legislative items of interest we are watching.
Week of January 16th, 2023 – Following last week’s organizational session, the legislature remained largely quiet in preparation for Governor Bill Lee’s Inaugural ceremonies. The House Finance Committee began departmental budget hearings this week, and bills continued to be filed by legislators in anticipation of the rapidly approaching filing deadlines. The House will not meet next week, but Senate Committees will briefly meet to address organizational matters. Click here to read the full update.
Maury County State & Local Legislative Agenda
Members from all partnering chambers were given the opportunity to participate in an annual policy survey at the end of 2022 which helped shape the Legislative Agenda below.
AN ENVIRONMENT WHERE BUSINESS CAN PROSPER
- Support state and local business incentives and tools that make Tennessee competitive with other states while emphasizing transparency, accountability, and a return on investment.
- Support the prioritization of the rights of private property owners when changes to zoning are proposed.
- Support legislation that allows businesses to make their own decision on how they regulate employees and customers.
- Support a state-specific solution to provide more access and affordability to healthcare to provide a healthier, more productive workforce and to alleviate healthcare costs to businesses.
TALENT DEVELOPMENT OF THE REGION’S WORKFORCE
- Support the collaboration of the Alliance with Maury County Schools, Columbia State, and TCATs to develop region-specific programs to meet workforce needs.
- Support the state holding local school districts accountable for turning around low performing schools and reaching student achievement goals.
- Support strategies to reach the state’s college completion goal of 55 percent of Tennesseans with postsecondary credentials by prioritizing funding for early postsecondary opportunities such as dual enrollment, apprenticeships, and industry certification.
- Support common-sense changes to provide opportunities for individuals leaving incarceration to return to the workforce and be productive citizens.
QUALITY OF LIFE THAT ATTRACTS AND RETAILS RESIDENTS AND WORKERS
- Support the collaboration of the local governments within Maury County to address the challenges that citizens face every day.
- Support planning and new funding sources to adequately account for growth, including regional and local infrastructure.
- Support programs and policies that promote housing affordability
- Support policies to provide more access to quality, affordable childcare.
Approved by the Maury Alliance Board of Directors on November 10th, 2022. Click here to download.