The Maury County Chamber and Economic Alliance has an advocacy partnership with the Nashville Area Chamber of Commerce, Rutherford County Chamber, Hendersonville Area Chamber and the Dickson County Chamber. This advocacy partnership provides the means for an expanded and more influential effort to advocate on issues that are important to the business community of Middle Tennessee.
2024 Legislative Updates
Maury County State & Local Legislative Agenda
Members from all partnering chambers were given the opportunity to participate in an annual policy survey at the end of 2023 which helped shape the Legislative Agenda below.
AN ENVIRONMENT WHERE BUSINESS CAN PROSPER
- Advocate for state and local business incentives and tools that make Tennessee and Maury County competitive with other states and counties while emphasizing transparency, accountability, and a return on investment.
- Support market-driven, evidence-based regulations that preserve businesses’ right to make decisions regarding their employees and customers.
TALENT DEVELOPMENT OF THE REGION’S WORKFORCE
- Support K-12 education policies that prepare students for opportunities to enter the community’s talent pipeline and aid in their economic mobility.
- Support the collaboration of the Alliance with Maury County Schools, Columbia State, and TCATs to develop region-specific programs to meet workforce needs.
- Support strategies to reach the state’s college completion goal of 55 percent of Tennesseans with postsecondary credentials by prioritizing funding for early postsecondary opportunities such as dual enrollment, apprenticeships, and industry certification.
- Support increased data transparency on workforce outcomes for education and training programs.
- Support the state holding local school districts accountable for turning around low performing schools and reaching student achievement goals.
QUALITY OF LIFE THAT ATTRACTS AND RETAINS RESIDENTS AND WORKERS
- Advocate for new funding sources to adequately account for growth, including regional and local infrastructure and transportation solutions.
- Support policies to provide more access to quality, affordable childcare.
- Support the collaboration of the local governments within Maury County to address local and regional challenges together.
- Support programs and policies that promote housing affordability.
- Support policies that expand access and affordability of medical care to maintain a healthy workforce.
Approved by MCCEA Board of Directors November 9th, 2023. Click here to download.