The Maury County Chamber and Economic Alliance has an advocacy partnership with the Nashville Area Chamber of Commerce, Rutherford County Chamber, Hendersonville Area Chamber and the Dickson County Chamber. This advocacy partnership provides the means for an expanded and more influential effort to advocate on issues that are important to the business community of Middle Tennessee.
Members from all partnering chambers were given the opportunity to participate in an annual policy survey at the end of 2020 which helped shape the 2021 Legislative Agenda below.
2021 Legislative Updates
- Week of April 12th, 2021
- Week of April 5th, 2021
- Week of March 29th, 2021
- Week of March 22nd, 2021
- Week of March 15th, 2021
- Week of March 8th, 2021
- Week of March 1st, 2021
2021 State & Local Legislative Agenda
AN ENVIRONMENT WHERE BUSINESS CAN PROSPER
- Support state and local business incentives and tools that make Tennessee competitive with other states while emphasizing transparency, accountability, and a return on investment.
- Support the prioritization of the rights of private property owners when changes to zoning are proposed.
- Support a state-specific solution to provide more access and affordability to healthcare to provide a healthier, more productive workforce and to alleviate healthcare costs to businesses.
TALENT DEVELOPMENT OF THE REGION’S WORKFORCE
- Support the state holding local school districts accountable for turning around low performing schools and reaching student achievement goals.
- Create and support the collaboration of the Alliance with Maury County Schools, Columbia State, and TCATs to develop region-specific programs to meet workforce needs.
- Support strategies to reach the state’s college completion goal of 55 percent of Tennesseans with postsecondary credentials by prioritizing funding for early postsecondary opportunities such as dual enrollment, apprenticeships, and industry certification.
- Support common-sense changes to provide opportunities for individuals leaving incarceration to return to the workforce and be productive citizens.
- Support a change in state law to provide school districts with the option to use the ACT and ACT Aspire suite of assessments rather than the state-mandated tests through TCAP and end of course examinations.
QUALITY OF LIFE THAT ATTRACTS AND RETAINS RESIDENTS AND WORKERS
- Support the collaboration of the local governments within Maury County to address the challenges that citizens face every day.
- Support programs and policies that promote housing affordability.
- Support policies to provide more access to quality, affordable childcare.
Approved by the MCCEA Board of Directors on November 12, 2020. Click here to download as a PDF.